this is just another diy blog written by a mother of two who likes to craft, sew, cook and travel - thanks for stopping by

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Make Your Own Ironing Cover (With Batting)

Who would have known that the first sewing project that I´ve ever made for my husband would be one of the first project of 2013? (You have to know that I am rarely doing any ironing around here - only when a sewing project explicitly calls for it)

We had an old ironing board which was ready to get recycled because not only the cover but especially the batting underneath was done (as you can clearly see). 



 

We quickly bought a new ironing board because it seemed impossible to get a new cover for our european sized ironing board (who would have known...). Well, we didn´t get a fancy one and probably got the worst there is. Luckily this old guy was still in the garage, and when I couldn´t stand the noise of the new one any longer, I decided to make a new cover myself. 

Most tutorial you can find online only deal with a pretty cover that comes on top of your finished ironing board but not with everything underneath. So I had to come up with my own solution this time. 

And here is what I did: 

The hardest part was to get rid of the old batting that was stuck inside the grid.

For the new batting and cover I got regular batting, Insul-Bright and a heat resistant fabric.


 First, I traced the shape of the board onto the batting and cut along the line.

Same for the Insul-Bright.

To prevent both batting layers from slipping away I roughly sewed them together.

 
After that, I traced and cut out the heat resistant fabric with a distance of 4 inches (10 cm) from the edge of the board.

Next, I fold 1 inch (2.5 cm) inside to make a tunnel for the elastic to go through.

 Making sure that all creases point into the same direction to allow the elastic to go through easily.

 
When sewing around the edge, there has to be an opening of at least 1 inch to pull the elastic through.

Here you can see all three layers.

And this is how it looked liked after pulling the elastic together. 

 Voilá!

And maybe one day I´ll find the perfect fabric (and time) to make one of these pretty covers you find all over the web.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...