this is just another diy blog written by a mother of two who likes to craft, sew, cook and travel - thanks for stopping by

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Schultüte - A German Tradition

In Germany we have the tradition that kids get a "Schultüte" (school bag?) at their first day of school. This bag is shaped like a giant ice cream cone and typically filled with school supplies and maybe some sweet treats. 


this is just a random picture I found (here) while google-ing the term "Schultüte" (Berlin 1930)

Now, what has all this to do with me and this blog? My niece is entering first grade this summer and I am the lucky one who got to make her her very own Schultüte!
Because you can´t buy the ice cone shaped card board dummies here in the US, and because it would be hard to ship the whole thing to Germany, I just have to ship the cover and my sister has to do all the assembling. But for now, here is what it looks like: 




Can´t wait to see my niece posing for her first-day-of-school picture with her Schultüte!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...