this is just another diy blog written by a mother of two who likes to craft, sew, cook and travel - thanks for stopping by

Monday, June 24, 2013

Jeans Into Skirt

We have a lot of knee-hole jeans at our house (no surprise with two little kids) and even if I´ve never tossed them, I sorted them out waiting for an idea to jump my mind.


 
And one day, there it was: I found several similar tutorials on pinterest on how to re-purpose an old pair of jeans into a girls skirt. There were different approaches and it was hard to pick one to try first. I´ve decided to go as simple as possible with not too many ruffles. Here is the picture of the skirt I liked the most. 


It actually is a zulily.com sale item - so no tutorial behind the link. 

But after seeing many other tutorials, I was confident I could whip up something that could work - and if not? No greater harm done, because who is going to miss a pair of ripped jeans?

First, I cut off the legs. Further into the process I cut off even a little more. 


Next, I cut one piece of fabric (6 x 29 inches), finished both long sides with a rolled hem, and serged the short sides together.


After that, I did the ruffles by sewing around the upper edge with a wide stitch (baste) and pulling one of the threads. I also serged around the bottom of the jeans.  


Here is a closer look.


Next, I pinned the ruffled rolled hem to the OUTSIDE of the jeans part. You could also choose to put both parts right sides together to make the seam disappear (if so, you don´t need the rolled hem at the top of the ruffled part).


Just for the look, I added a rick rack ribbon on top the seam. And here is the (almost) finished skirt!



As a little extra I will add two little rick rack flowers to the skirt, but I am not sure yet how and where to attach them. To learn how to make those flowers please check out my next blog post. 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...