this is just another diy blog written by a mother of two who likes to craft, sew, cook and travel - thanks for stopping by

Monday, June 24, 2013

Rick Rack Flowers

Once more I found an interesting tutorial on pinterest that I wanted to try. This one though is not in English, or German, or any other language that I could roughly understand. So I had to let the pictures speak for themselves and add the rest myself. 

Here is what I´ve done: 
I took 2 pieces of rick rack and twisted them around each other (twist without turning - if that makes any sense to you). They kind of interlock with each other. 

They don´t necessarily want to stay flat but as soon as I started sewing on top (off center) they stayed in place. I put my seam on the right side of the center. I just started sewing and twisted as I went further.  


Here is what I got. 


By turning the string I got this nice looking flower. The flowers in the tutorial looked more open than mine though, but as I couldn´t read the instructions, I could only try a different approach. So I opened my flower again and turned the string the opposite way. I think it helped a little, but my flowers still didn´t turn out that much wide open as the ones I saw in the tutorial. But I still liked the way they looked!


Again, because I couldn´t read the tutorial, I had to come up with a way to fix my flowers after they were rolled. I decided to simply take fabric glue and glue the back side of my flowers (advice: you should look for your glue before you start rolling your first flower, otherwise you walk around your house looking for your glue with a fragile rick rack flower in your hand).  

Here you can see how I dried my flowers, by holding the edges with pins in my pin cushion (one has to be creative).


And here is how my flowers turned out. To attach them to the skirt I will glue a piece of felt on the back of the flower and hand stitch the felt to the skirt (haven´t done that yet). 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...