this is just another diy blog written by a mother of two who likes to craft, sew, cook and travel - thanks for stopping by

Friday, August 17, 2012

Duvet Cover a la IKEA

This post is more aimed for European readers because it talks about how to adjust an IKEA king size duvet cover to a 200x220 cm bedding cover.

When the new IKEA catalog came out a few weeks ago, I was thrilled to see that they now carry bedlinen made from 100% linen. 

Not only is the 200x220 cm size in Germany hard to come by also it is really expensive because it isn´t the most common size. But - as you may know - everything is bigger in the US, including bedlinen. A queen size bedding cover for example is approx. 220x220 cm  and a king size cover is approx. 260x220 cm.

That should be an easy one to cut of a few cm on each side with my serger! But not as easy as I thought it would be...

It turned out, that the actual size was (after washing?) quite a bit smaller - only 209 cm where I need 220. What now? 

Well, I was lucky that the fabric doesn´t has a design which called for a certain direction, so I just turned it 90° and cut of length and width. Even if that meant that I had to figure out how to replace the opening / closing part which was now on the side instead of on the bottom. I chose to do a looong zipper, which wasn´t as difficult as a thought it would be.

And here is what it looks like:


 





More work than I thought, but still worth doing it!

2 comments:

  1. What about the opposite situation. I really want this duvet cover...

    http://www.funkleshop.no/collections/sengetoy/products/electric-dreams-sengetoy

    But I can't find a comforter that it would fit in nicely. Any ideas?

    joey.p.mullick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I have never thought about it that way. Your cover is defintely european size, but even IKEA doesn´t carry european sized comforters. I would simply try to google "european sized comforter". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...